Satisfaction
He're a revised list of things that the Amrus thought it woud be wise to change so they could further the cause of their local industry and manufacturing base. These changes are very economically motivated and they hit you as odd first, one by one, till it dawns upon you that each one ofthem is meant to boost 'swadeshi' production and purchase and block European manufacturers from capturing american markets.
1. Electrical sockets are like nothing I have never seen before. There are no switches. Only two thin parallel 'slots' where the plug enters. Electric power supply in homes is 110 volts AC at a frequency of 60 Hz. Brilliant move. It just isolates the entire electrical appliances market from foreign interference.
2. Taps are so weird. The ones back at home turn on anticlockwise. Here the right tap opens clockwise and the one on the left (if there is one) turns on clockwise.
3. Most doorknobs turn the otherway round.
4. Motor vehicles drive on the left side of the road. This was probably meant to isolate the automobiles market from European and Japanese manufacuteres too. Probably did help for a while.
One of the most satisfying things is to get talking to a desi who has a heavy accent and gradually get him/her to start speaking in a normal Indian way. Ahhhh... :D Native 'countriness' exposed. Hee hahahaa.
In other news, I am beginning to realise that my views and beliefs at any point in time do not necessarily always agree with my stated views and beliefs in the past. I am therefore deleting my previous post, namely the puerile attempt at free verse without rhyme which I had written, I think, more or less impulsively.
Recommended listening: 'Satisfaction' - Benny Benassi
+
1. Electrical sockets are like nothing I have never seen before. There are no switches. Only two thin parallel 'slots' where the plug enters. Electric power supply in homes is 110 volts AC at a frequency of 60 Hz. Brilliant move. It just isolates the entire electrical appliances market from foreign interference.
2. Taps are so weird. The ones back at home turn on anticlockwise. Here the right tap opens clockwise and the one on the left (if there is one) turns on clockwise.
3. Most doorknobs turn the otherway round.
4. Motor vehicles drive on the left side of the road. This was probably meant to isolate the automobiles market from European and Japanese manufacuteres too. Probably did help for a while.
One of the most satisfying things is to get talking to a desi who has a heavy accent and gradually get him/her to start speaking in a normal Indian way. Ahhhh... :D Native 'countriness' exposed. Hee hahahaa.
In other news, I am beginning to realise that my views and beliefs at any point in time do not necessarily always agree with my stated views and beliefs in the past. I am therefore deleting my previous post, namely the puerile attempt at free verse without rhyme which I had written, I think, more or less impulsively.
Recommended listening: 'Satisfaction' - Benny Benassi
+





1 Comments:
The sockets are like that in many Middle east countries too, like a billion other things that are copied from the Americans . You have to use a 220 V to 110V adaptor if you want appliances from other places to work I think.
Post a Comment
<< Home