Saturday, September 04, 2004

I really want to know you

There is a league of songs that contain the word "Krishna". Not surprisingly most of these are from the era when the ISKCON movement was spreading through the steets of North America and Europe.. viz. the 60's and early 70's. Among these, the three songs that I am most fond of and which continue to strike a chord in my heart every single time I hear them are:

> Bow Down Mister - Boy George and Asha Bhonsle (many ppl think it was Lata)

> My Sweet Lord - George Harrison (The Beatles)
> Govinda - Kulashaker

The last one doesn't really have the word 'Krishna' and is pretty hard rock but nevertheless I still love it and it evokes the same feelings as the others. Its very different from the band's other songs though. I especially love its ending where the word "Govinda" is stretched out. I don't have too much to say about Bow Down Mister except that, of the three songs above, it was the one I heard first back in 1988. Of course, I had no clue what it meant back then :)

In the summer of 1969, before the dissolution of the most popular music group of all time, George Harrison of The Beatles produced a hit single, "The Hare Krishna mantra," performed by George and the devotees of the London Radha-Krishna Temple. Soon after rising to the Top 10 best-selling record charts throughout England, Europe, and parts of Asia, the Hare Krishna chant became a household word -- especially in England, where the BBC had featured the Hare Krishna Chanters, as they were then called, four times on the country's most popular television program, Top of the Pops.

The spread of a new hope for freedom from human worries and spiritual closenes to 'god' in a troubled western society produced some interesting notions in the masses. To the uninitiated, the followers of the cult were hippies seeking money and enjoying the music and weed while dancing and partying. Till the present day the term 'hare krishna' is popularly used in hollywood to describe a person with a hippie nature or appearance.


In 2001, Parlephone, a record company in the UK re-released Harrison's 1971 hit single "My Sweet Lord" with support from U2's Bono and all proceeds were given to charity. In "My Sweet Lord", Harrison intones the title repeatedly creating a mantra in keeping with the Eastern mystical feel of the song. Harrison’s masterful slide guitar swoops and soars throughout the track and the hook is as catchy as anything he ever came up with in The Beatles. The songs starts of with a simple but catchy progression of the chords C and Gm and uses mixtures of F, F7, G, D and Am in the chorus. Incidently, there's an interesting
website devoted to Harrison. Here's what George Harrison has to say about the singles "My sweet lord" and "The Hare Krishna Mantra: There's nothing higher" :

"If you open up your heart
You will know what I mean
We've been polluted so long
But here's a way for you to get clean..."

George Harrison, himself deeply influenced by the Krishna conciousness movement started by Swami Srila Prabhupada had some insightful
views on the existence of god, the oneness of all 'gods' and the nature of god itself. These are reflected best in his beautiful hit single 'My Sweet Lord', the only solo by a member of The Beatles to reach the #1 spot on charts:

"I really want to see you
Really want to be with you
Really want to see you lord
But it takes so long, my lord

My sweet lord
Hm, my lord
Hm, my lord

I really want to know you
Really want to go with you
Really want to show you lord
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)"


Pic: Harrison chanting the mantra with devotees
of the London Radha-Krishna Temple.


Recommended listening: My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

+

2 Comments:

Blogger Bayesian Observer said...

George Harrison on "My Sweet Lord":

"I wanted to show that Hallelujah and Hare Krishna are quite the same thing. I did the voices singing 'Hallelujah' and then the change to 'Hare Krishna' so that people would be chanting the maha-mantra -- before they knew what was going on! I had been chanting Hare Krishna for a long time, and this song was a simple idea of how to do a Western pop equivalent of a mantra which repeats over and over again the holy names. I don't feel guilty or bad about it; in fact it saved many a heroin addict's life."

7:34 PM  
Blogger Abhishek said...

Dooooddddddd
write more on "karma" and "dharma" fundes....and more on hidusim and other religion....and old gyans...I guess you have hazar fundes ...please put it up on you r log...
this one was realy good

HARE KRISHN...HARE RAM....KRISHN KRISHN HARE HARE"........

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home