Thursday, September 02, 2004

Bang the head that doesn't bang

I think I have figured out why it actually helps to keep nodding your head in class. I used to find it very irritating in the first semester at iitm but now I think I can almost turn it on and off for myself at will. See when you're nodding or shaking your head from side to side or in a figure of eight, depending upon which part of India you come from, you attract the constant attention of the instructor ofcourse, as an object that is perennially in motion in an otherwise still classroom (Unfortunately this advantage is diminished if everyone else is also shaking their heads). Also since you have now succeeded in attracting attention by your non-stop headbanging, it may occur to the instructor as odd that you seem to be following everything he is teaching. He may therefore choose to test you by asking you a question to ascertain whether you nodding is fake. In other words, you better be actually following what is being taught. So its all ultimately to your benefit :)


+

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its a generally good idea to not do what everyone is doing to 'stand out'.. i was thinking of so many ppl wearing beads, studs and body piercings these days.. in an environment where almost everyone has some such jewellery or tatoo on their body it would definitely stand in contrast to be as plain as possible... maybe even more attractive.
Kirit.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well shaking your head is one way of trying to stay awake. Its also a brilliant way to irritate others in the classroom... pretty much how ppl managed to irritate u in ur first sem in IIT:):)
neela

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home