Friday, August 27, 2004

NY, beer and more

This is going to be a very mixed post coz so much has happened so fast and its all very jumbled in my head. Here's a list of things I've been doing this week and the next:
1. Signing up for a social security number
2. Opening a bank acount
3. Registring for my courses
4. Registering as a TA
5. Attening workshops on teching and ethics (more on that later... Eowwwww)


..and here are the fun things I did:

6. Went for a new students barbecue party
7. An ice cream social
8. Went for "42nd Street" on broaway in New York. It was Mind Blowing
9. Tried my hand at cooking :)
10. Met people from Turkey, Peru, Taiwan and (some) beautiful people from India and Pakistan;)
11. met up with a classmate from the 7th grade in school.

Something thats been bothering me a little, and its always at the back of my mind is my discomfort in hanging around other new students from India. I'm not yet quite sure about the reason for my uneasiness but I'm guessing it had something to do with how diferently people from different part of the country behave and the kind of language/tone they use and also with the fact that I kinda feel uneasy whenI'm asked "Oh you're fully funded huh ? Wow. Thats really cool." and I know that most Indians here haven't got any kind of aid yet.

In other news, I have begun to realise that my blog looks more and more like a linear combination of the blogs I visit and it keeps changing depending on which blogs I visit more often than others, etc. I like to call this "dynamic plagiaristic morphosis". Hahaha. Recent conversations with a friend have brought back memories of a show I used to watch on TV. as a kid in Nigeria called "Sesame Street" and all it funny puppet like characters: Ernie, Big bird, Cookie Monster, kermit the frog.. Wonder if its still running here in the US. My classes begin on 1st Sept. and I have my own office :) hee haa haahaa. WINLAB is a real cool place, very impressive.. I still have to meet the profs though. Let me end this post here since I have another (!) workshop to attend in a couple of hours.


+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home