Why can't this be love ?
I ask my dear friend "The 'other' I" for advice. Following an infinitely prolonged awkward situation with a cherished female-friend I have to decide whether or not to contact her and initiate conversation. The 'other' me instructs me that the decision, of course, depends on whether I want to give up on her and abandon any hope of a relationship or not.
Me: Okay, so what if I don't want to give up on her?
The 'other' me: You don't call her.
Me: But you said I don't call if I wanted to give up on her.
The 'other' me: Right.
Me: So I don't call either way?
The 'other' me: Right.
Me: So what's the difference?
The 'other' me: There is no difference right now. See, mate, the only difference between giving up and not giving up is if you take her when SHE comes to you. But you can't do anything to make her want to come to you. In fact, you can only do stuff to make her not want to come to you.
Me: So the only difference is if I forget about her or just pretend to forget about her ?
The 'other' me: Right.
Me: Well that sucks.
The 'other' me: Yeah, it sucks.
Me: So it's like a retroactive decision, then? I mean I could, like, forget about her and then when she comes back, pretend like I just pretended to forget about her ?
The 'other' me: Right. Although probably more likely the opposite.
Me: What do you mean?
The 'other' me: I mean at first you're going to pretend to forget about her, you'll not call her, I don't know, whatever... but then eventually, you really WILL forget about her.
Me (after some thinking) : Well what if she comes back to me first?
The 'other' me: Hmmm... see, that's the thing, :D somehow they know not to come back until you really forget.
Me: That's the thing then.
The 'other' me: That's the thing.
+
Me: Okay, so what if I don't want to give up on her?
The 'other' me: You don't call her.
Me: But you said I don't call if I wanted to give up on her.
The 'other' me: Right.
Me: So I don't call either way?
The 'other' me: Right.
Me: So what's the difference?
The 'other' me: There is no difference right now. See, mate, the only difference between giving up and not giving up is if you take her when SHE comes to you. But you can't do anything to make her want to come to you. In fact, you can only do stuff to make her not want to come to you.
Me: So the only difference is if I forget about her or just pretend to forget about her ?
The 'other' me: Right.
Me: Well that sucks.
The 'other' me: Yeah, it sucks.
Me: So it's like a retroactive decision, then? I mean I could, like, forget about her and then when she comes back, pretend like I just pretended to forget about her ?
The 'other' me: Right. Although probably more likely the opposite.
Me: What do you mean?
The 'other' me: I mean at first you're going to pretend to forget about her, you'll not call her, I don't know, whatever... but then eventually, you really WILL forget about her.
Me (after some thinking) : Well what if she comes back to me first?
The 'other' me: Hmmm... see, that's the thing, :D somehow they know not to come back until you really forget.
Me: That's the thing then.
The 'other' me: That's the thing.
+





1 Comments:
Hoo haa!! Looks like Mr. Mathur is creating his own Tyler Durden....
Post a Comment
<< Home