Sunday, August 01, 2004

Bravo !

Today was a sad day for electrical engineering. Four years of gruelling work at iit madras and today i failed to correctly use the 'knowledge' that I'd hoped i had 'gained'. I messed up big time. Here's what happened: I, very ambitiously make plans to connect my computer's sound card to the big stereo we have in the living room so that the collection of mp3 music can be put to good use. So I go and spend a fortune buying 35 meters of stereo cable (yes i know the signal levels would fall in such a long wire... vitto ki maa kaa), RCA female plugs and a stereo jack. Most of friday and the better part of saturday is spent in setting up the cable and convincing my dad of the the return on investment. The whole thing is finally ready and whaduyu know.. it works ! So I'm swaying to the tune of 'Nothing else matters' when i think to myself 'Lets push this thing to higher volume level'. I go and hike up the volume of the comp speaker from whose headphone port i have taken the sound output for the stero jack. All is well for a while. Suddenly, Metallica is inturrepted by a PHHssshhh-TackkKKK sound and i see smoke rising from the comp speakers. I am left with no speakers and a burnt sound card. Well done. Bravo ! BRAVO !!!!

I spend the next few hours pissed with myself, slowly realizing the mistake I'd made. I don't even have enthu to write the funda of what went wrong. Kill me please. Today is convocation day. I'm supposed to be officially become an electrical engineer for goDDDSSAke !!!!! EEEeeeaaarrgghhHHHHH !!

+

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey funda putter..you've put so much fundaes on your blog..you might as well enlighten on this one also..me a cupper as always, am still bulbing. :))

Suds

PS: btw..your sound card would have been screwed even if you had connected the living room speakers directly?

1:29 PM  
Blogger Bayesian Observer said...

ok. I'm ok now.. thanks for the condolences good man. And suds.. here's what went wrong da. The fact that i fdrew the sound output from the headphones port of the comp spkr meant that I'd put two amplifiers in series. So ideally i should have kept the first amp's gain low so as to get a good net SNR... but like a cupper , i incresed the volume of the comp speaker and that meant overloading the delicate circuit of the headphones port which is meant for the jutti headphone. I was trying to drive the stereo system with that jutti output port. So it blew. Anyway.. now i'll new speakers :)

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home