Those were the best days of my life
By the time I finished reading the opening chapter of Chetan Bhagat's 'The Five Point Someone', I felt a growing sense of happiness deep within me. My source of happiness was this: I was happy that I hadn't attended college at IIT-Delhi. I suppose most people who've read the book have at some point tried comparing their colllege life with the one described by Bhagat or maybe even tried at some level to identify with it. I do not identify with it. I'm happy I got to this book because it makes me feel special having having attended iit-m. Ragging at iit-m is really cool, its not physical. (For starters, they don't make you strip) Reading the book has, I'm sorry to say, dimmed my opinion of the city even further.
Reminds me of something Calvin once said about someone:
"I imagine (they) have a dim perception that nature played a cruel trick on them, but they lack the intelligence to really comprehend its magnitude."
iit-m is probably the best thing that ever happened to me. However, this judgement is based on perceptions derived from and after my stay at iit-m. I'd probably have said the same thing about my alma mater no matter which city I'd have been in. On the other hand, considering the fact that I did think about the irreversible influence of my perceptions on my judgements and consequently questioned the objectivity involved in my opinion above, probably means I'm still better off yet... or maybe I'm not... ad infinitum. Yeah.. thats the whole problem with making accurate judgements based on opinion. It calls into question the process by which we make judgements and its relation with unique individual perceptions. Haha.
[Answer to last post's question (as taught to us): You eject out of the situation asap. 'I have another class now' , 'I have a important meeting to attend ' and you immediately report the matter to your faculty supervisor. I know.. Damn! I wouldn't mind such a situation though ;) Hehe... naah statistics suggest elec. engg. doesn't exactly figure as the top choice of female undergrads in the US either.]
+
Reminds me of something Calvin once said about someone:
"I imagine (they) have a dim perception that nature played a cruel trick on them, but they lack the intelligence to really comprehend its magnitude."
iit-m is probably the best thing that ever happened to me. However, this judgement is based on perceptions derived from and after my stay at iit-m. I'd probably have said the same thing about my alma mater no matter which city I'd have been in. On the other hand, considering the fact that I did think about the irreversible influence of my perceptions on my judgements and consequently questioned the objectivity involved in my opinion above, probably means I'm still better off yet... or maybe I'm not... ad infinitum. Yeah.. thats the whole problem with making accurate judgements based on opinion. It calls into question the process by which we make judgements and its relation with unique individual perceptions. Haha.
[Answer to last post's question (as taught to us): You eject out of the situation asap. 'I have another class now' , 'I have a important meeting to attend ' and you immediately report the matter to your faculty supervisor. I know.. Damn! I wouldn't mind such a situation though ;) Hehe... naah statistics suggest elec. engg. doesn't exactly figure as the top choice of female undergrads in the US either.]
+





3 Comments:
dude, you do realize that Calvin said that about girls and insects. better be careful .. some sexy blonde (who is a C&H fan) might be visiting your blog
Ahan, the US is sure interesting, isnt it ? :P
I know good man... you're right. Thats what i meant in the last paragraph. neither of us are qulified to make comparisions :(
Post a Comment
<< Home