Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Enna da ?

I haven't posted in 4 days. I've been very very busy. Freaked out too much on the last weekend i think. Three assignments lined up in this week, one with MATLAB coding and latex documentation. nice. I don't even have the book for that course yet. Anyway, today I realised that my lab has some very beautiful people ! Finally moving to my new apartment tonight, got a new TV and cable with 180+ channels :D Might be attending a Pink Floyd tribute concert next month in NY.

Every place has its own peculiar colloquial meaningless words in its local dialect of english. Hyderabad had 'Re': "Why re ??" , "Dont do this re".... Bangalore and Madras have 'Da': "What dae ???", "Enna da?".. oh and also "Maccha and Macchi (still dont know what those mean, but I think Macchi means sister-in-law, so if you call some guy 'Maccha' you call him your 'brother-in -law' which means you're declaring his wife or gf as your sister, which ultimately means "Hello, I come in peace"), Nairobi has "sawa".... that means OK but its used everywhere. and also "buana" which is slang for 'dude'.

To call a general person on the road, "Bhaiyya" is the predominant word used in North India or at least in U.P. and Delhi. In Bangalore, however, its "swami", pronounced as "soami". In hyd, the correct word is: "babu". In Nairobi its "rafiki" meaning 'friend'. Nigeria had "Jaadey" which also means 'dude'. This place just has 'babe' and 'dude' i guess.

+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home