Friday, February 11, 2005

I can see clearly now

It was a course I took in my seventh semester back in Madras: 'African and Afro-American Literature' that opened my eyes to the days of slavery in America: When american ships would carry payloads of west african slaves tighly packed like animals in cages and auction them off for their lives. As part of the course, we read Alex Haley's 'Roots' and watched a BBC produced of the TV series of the same. The main character in the book is Kunta Kinte, who is captured in his homeland The Gambia and taken to America by slave-traders. And then coming here and interacting with afro-american kids.. I felt so strange. In these kids, I saw the enmancipation of an entire race. I felt bluntly concious of the shameful history of black slavery in America. I wondered if any of them still knew of their Afican lineages. It was a very odd experince.. having lived a large part of my life in Africa and having a number of african friends. Six months into my stay in this country, I still sometimes wonder in awe at the social position of the African American race in the 'land of the free and brave'.

Clearly the best suited for survival physically, the strongest, the fastest (read: olympics 100 m dash), the tallest (read: NBA), the african and afro-american race has made an undeniable and unforgettable impact on the history and the little 'culture' that this country can call its own. Consider the field of music alone: Modern day rock music is an offshoot of 'rock-and-roll' music that developed from the rhythm & blues and jazz genres, which themselves were pure creations of black musicians. the 'blues' existed back in the days of slavery only as a means to cry out one's misery using typically depressing melodies and instruments procured by chance and improvised upon. Hip hop and rap, although belonging to a much later era, are built upon principles derived from their predecesor genres. As a result, a large percentae of the music that we hear today, is a direct result of the effort and ingenuity of hundreds of afro-american musicians.

As a teaching assistant for a large undergraduate class, the students who I know work the hardest, who make the greatest efforts and who to come and ask me questions the most, who are truly worried about themselves are - not to take anything away from the other students - the afro-americans kids

And yet I see the position of this race in the very bottom sediments of American social strata. All the meanest jobs. All the lowest paid jobs. Ofcourse, there are no low and high jobs here. All jobs are respectful. It saddens me. A hidden pathos. I guess it takes more than just time for the upliftment of a race from a position it has been erstwhile relegated to by a wetern society.

"I've always been amazed that the very people forced to live in the worst parts of town, go to the worst schools, and who have it the hardest are always the first to step up, to defend our country. They serve so that we don't have to. They offer to give up their lives so that we can be free. It is remarkably their gift to us. And all they ask for in return is that we never send them into harm's way unless it's absolutely necessary. Will they ever trust us again?"
- Micheal Moore in Farenheit 9/11

My favourite quote from Roots: "When you close your fist, nobody can put anything into your hand, nor can you pick up anything" - Omoro Kinte


Recommmended listening: 'I can see clearly now' - Johnny Nash
+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home