Sunday, January 16, 2005

Neodammerung*

The story is the same. But look into it deeper. Ok, I'll say it. Dont be shy to accept. Neo is Krishna. No no.. I'm serious. He is. The question that is asked by people like myself is that why does he need to create evil things in our mortal world when he'd have to come and dispell them anyway? It is this question that drives us. Why does he do it ? The scriptures and the holy men say its necessary to balance all that is good and positive for it is necessary for good and bad to co-exist for the world to exist.

'Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. As a species, human beings define their reality though misery and suffering.'
-
Agent Smith (The Matrix, 1999)

But when the bad or the evil builds up out of hand or begins to dominate then he must appear to bring back harmony and cause a system reset.


"Yada Yada Hi Dharmasya Glanirva Bhavathi Bharatha, Abhyuthanam Adharmaysya Tadatmanam Srijami Aham'. Bhagavad Gita (Chapter IV-7)
(Whenever there is decay of righteousness O! Bharatha And a rise of unrighteousness then I manifest Myself!)


And so the cycle of birth and death, of evolution and annihilation continues, each time passing through the
yugas (ages) and culminating in pralaya (armageddon). The architect in the matrix explains this in terms of mathematical equations. He talks of annihilation and restart as being mandatory for bringing back mathematical harmony to the matrix.

'This will be the sixth time we have destroyed it [Zion]. We have become exceedingly good at it'.
- The Architect (Matrix Reloaded, 2003)


*The Title 'Neodammerung' is actually means "Twilight of Neo" and is German. It's an allusion to Richard Wagner's opera Gotterdammerung or the Twilight of the Gods written in the late 1800s. And the words sung is from the Hindu Sacred Texts so its sung in Sanskrit. Interestingly, Duel of the Fates is also sung in Sanskrit!

+

3 Comments:

Blogger Solo said...

{I posted twice before this in the other comments, but HaloScan ate them. When I refreshed the page, the HaloScan link was not there at all, so I'm posting here. When I revisit, I'll copy the text again and paste it there.}
[NC] I think you're following the Vaishnava sect's teachings. According to their scriptures (The most famed being the revered ShrimadBhagavata Purana), serving Vishnu/Narayan/Krishna in His eternal abode in Vaikuntha is the greatest that a soul is capable of, and Moksha is nothing before this Bhakti. While according to the Advaita sect (As talked about in the Upanishads), the greatest achievement of a soul is to attain oneness with Brahm, or Moksha, and Bhakti is a means to that end.
Both have some solid scriptures in their support, and as I talk only from bookish knowledge and almost no practical experience, I can't claim to give one any preference over the other. That would be like asking a 3-year old to explain the General Theory of Relativity.

Wishes on Republic Day.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Solo: Yes, my exposure to the subject so far has been heavily biased towards the Gaudiya Vaishnava tradition and the Bhakti Movement, leaving out Sankaracharya's Advaita philosophy - as you politely pointed out.

That omission is a mark of an utter lack of depth in understanding on my part, for if I had true conviction I would most certainly have weighed the two Schools of Thought and explained why I stood on one side and not the other. Clearly I have much to learn before I develop any convictions, and your gentle rap on my knuckles was most welcome :-).

But it helps to have these discussions along the way to get a wider perspective, as I'm sure you'll agree. So I look forward to more of these exchanges (Zulu - hint, hint!)in the future.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Solo said...

[NC] Man, you're making me sound like some 50 year old teacher! What with "Rap on the knuckles" and all that stuff. What you know is no small amount, and few people know that much. I keep talking from bookish knowledge, which is nothing till applied to practical experience; so I don't claim to be any kind of pundit. And yeah Zulu, though we're acting as some sort of pressure group, more posts on spiritual stuff would be welcome. Of course, quality is more important than quantity; so don't rush into one just coz both of us keep buggin' you on it.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home