Sunday, January 02, 2005

d/dt

I have been thinking about this idea for a while now and I thought it was time to put it down in words. In extension to my ideas on happiness (being the sole aim fo every human action), I was wondering if it might be possible to express mathematically a necessary or sufficient condition for there to be excitements (happiness) in one's life. And I came up with a simple model. I belive a person's life is 'exciting' when the d/dt of the rate of change of things is high. In simple terms, for a person's daily life to be exciting, he must continually be presented with new situations without falling into a regular pattern. A life with a perfectly determinate pattern has a d/dt = 0. Such a person has nothing new to look forward to as every stage of his immediate future is perfectly determinate. A 'high' d/dt means very little is certain about the immediate future. Even the knowledge of 'high d/dt' isn't known. Hence the individual is continually faced with new problems and must expend thought on the new situations he finds himself. A busy mind is therefore a happy mind... thought it may not say so.


+
Recommended listening: 'Where do you think you're going ?' - Dire Straits

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home