It's just a thought
For a long time I have been seeking a harmonic solution to the problem of exhaustively proving to people and to myself that there exists no such thing as a pure selfless act. An exhaustive proof of this notion should be logically and mathematically sealed.. as in it should not have any leaks or loopholes. Also, it should not rest on weak arguments like "most of the times we see ..." or "take any act...". It only takes one counter example to disprove a theory. An so I've had friends and family come to me with all kinds of weird examples of how they thought a particular act was purely selfless. On each of these occaisions it has not taken me too much time to prove them wrong, to their dismay. The latest in this series of examples was this:
A: "What about opening a door for someone at the mall or at the exit of a building. Very often when you're leaving through a swing-door and there's someone behind you, you keep your hand stretched out for a while longer so that the person can get through before it swing shut. You're never going to see or meet this person again, ever. Isn't that a selfless act ?"
me: "Well... *some explanation* "
(after 2 min):
A: ohhh. Hmmmm.
The purpose of this proof, I believe, would lead to an enhanced understanding of ourselves as humans and to 'smoother' funcioning of our day-to-day lives as a whole, because the closer our perceptions are about the truth (or the true nature of reality), the smaller the error between the absolute truth (assuming there is such a thing) and our estimate of it and hence the easier it will be for us to live better. (Don't ask me to proove that last step yet). But if what we are seeking to prove is true then the purpose of this proof MUST be linked to my personal selfishness rather than the "larger benefit of humanity" that I have claimed at the start of this paragraph.
Anyway, I'm not presenting the proof out here just yet. Because I have not constructed it yet. But I will. Meanwhile, I'm just happy that there seem to be more and more people joining this club (read as: 'school of thought') as against the defensive resentment I remember facing when I had first started openly preaching on this notion.
+
Recommended listening: 'It's just a thought' - CCR
A: "What about opening a door for someone at the mall or at the exit of a building. Very often when you're leaving through a swing-door and there's someone behind you, you keep your hand stretched out for a while longer so that the person can get through before it swing shut. You're never going to see or meet this person again, ever. Isn't that a selfless act ?"
me: "Well... *some explanation* "
(after 2 min):
A: ohhh. Hmmmm.
The purpose of this proof, I believe, would lead to an enhanced understanding of ourselves as humans and to 'smoother' funcioning of our day-to-day lives as a whole, because the closer our perceptions are about the truth (or the true nature of reality), the smaller the error between the absolute truth (assuming there is such a thing) and our estimate of it and hence the easier it will be for us to live better. (Don't ask me to proove that last step yet). But if what we are seeking to prove is true then the purpose of this proof MUST be linked to my personal selfishness rather than the "larger benefit of humanity" that I have claimed at the start of this paragraph.
Anyway, I'm not presenting the proof out here just yet. Because I have not constructed it yet. But I will. Meanwhile, I'm just happy that there seem to be more and more people joining this club (read as: 'school of thought') as against the defensive resentment I remember facing when I had first started openly preaching on this notion.
+
Recommended listening: 'It's just a thought' - CCR





3 Comments:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Count me in. Hail the school of thought
Wrong-o! There is such a thing as a truly selfless act. Granted that it's easy to prove otherwise - one single counterexample is enough.
Let me get back to you when I've found it.
Post a Comment
<< Home