What is absolute?
'I draw great strength from my family and friends and therefore I'm not very religious'.
I couldn't understand what it was about this that struck me as odd. Something about it caused it to stick out like a splinter in my head. I couldn't put a finger on it and I didn't give it much thought. Recently I found myself reading the same words of the same Orkut profile. Again it struck me as odd. It was then that I realized what it was. about it that had bothered me. I realised that I did not agree with the implied purpose of religion that this sentence was attempting to portray. Was it true that one didn't need religion or spirituality if one had good family and friends? In other words, was religion a substitute for friends and family?
Well I have good family and friends but I find I still resort to the almighty in times of need. What then, is the important of religion and spirituality in our lives if we are constantly surrounded by friends and family? I think the former distinguishes itself by providing an absolute ideal where friends and family can only provide temporary cushion, sometime obligatory, flexible as needed and in keeping with the times. Religion (or spiritualism, whatever term one may chose to use) gives us a path that will remain the absolute ideal, the absolute truth, one that will always remain correct, irrespective of day and age. relatives and friends can give one strength but the existence of an absolute emanates only from faith in godhood alone. This is my conviction.





10 Comments:
i myself find it quite difficult to give a clear distinction between religion and spirituality..but in the end it is simply a matter of believing in god..believing during bad times that someone is watching over me and things would be all right..at times i have felt all doors close on me and then miraculously another door opens..that is why i continue to believe that god exists..there is no other way to describe why hope exists without contributing it to god..and god's role in our life only comes thru the action of others..most often our family..but then it is good to have a family..when things start going wrong and u feel as if god isnt listening to u..family gives u the strength..
once while i attending a satsang i saw an old woman, a laborer, burst out into tears..i questioned why she was here..because it gave her faith and strength to go on with life..she was crying because life had beaten her over and over..sickness..death..what does life not make us see..and she came to the satsang to derive strength..to hear the preacher say that life in this world is immaterial..we must rise above our attachments and seek to get out of this life-death cycle..the only way to be happy is through detatchment..that the satsangi's master(god) is watching over her and taking care of her..there's a purpose in everything..that is what my grandfather also tells us..that the master is watching over u..he is a preacher himself..he is one of those people who are considered to have achieved emancipation..and are not going to be born again..that is why perhaps people go to him for faith..coz he is the closest to god that we can get..
sometime back i went thru serious illness..and no medicine was affecting me..it put my own life and my family's life on standstill..i was quite angry with god for putting me through this..today my life is much better..though my priorities have changed..and i am scared too of life to some extent..i dont know why it happened to me what happened...but i cant really do much about it other than go on with my life..though i pray a lot less to him..and i am also scared of him..but i can't do much about things still..so i simply go on putting fight one after the other..somehow i dont want to accept defeat and accept that this life is to be full of unhappiness..i want to create happiness for myself..and i no longer feel dependent on god..that's my experience with god and spirituality..i am no longer able to attend any religious sessions..i no longer pray to god and ask for something..what has to happen will happen..sometimes i pray to god to take care of me and not hurt me..that's my experience with god:D
nidhi
god is where you seek him... in friends, family and foe.. there are no substitutes.. he is in your state of happiness and in you time of sadness.. when you are happy he is treating you.. when you are sad he is testing you... but he is there, all the way through!!! :o)))
HMmm.. very interesting commens, I must say.
-Taste maker
This comment has been removed by the author.
Absolut Vodka tastes like absolute shit
This comment has been removed by the author.
Religion and Religiosity are two different things, maybe the person was referring to the latter.
Like you said religion is timeless in its own way.
religion is like bananas..... u just gotta peel and eat man.....
Dude, why did you stop writing? You kept it up for almost 4 tears and then...poof...it just ends. I think that what you have been putting is interesting. You should keep it up...
oops..."years"
Post a Comment
<< Home