Saturday, October 15, 2005

Free as a Bird

I am 76 years old now. With a son and a daughter, both living happy married lives with their spouses several thousands of miles away in far away points on the globe and 3 grandchildren, I am waiting for the wedding of my 2nd grandchild next month. Life has breezed by quite suddenly.

As I sit outside on my folding chair in the front yard of my house on this october late evening, I can just about make out the dim forms that the clouds near the fading horizon have arranged into. I cannot help but think about the changing forms my own life has waded through; from bubbly youth to this frail frame, what I had planned and where I landed, what I wanted and what I got, I have played Shakespeare's six stage roles. As I recount the cascades and windfalls that came along the path I have trodden, and recite Frost's and Wordsworth's lines to myself, a strange sense of satisfaction grows within me.

Even as the light fades on the ending day, the clouds have rearranged still, yet dimly visble. The sky above is dark now, a sheet of endless velvet and stars that await me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...time goes by so slowly when one is living it....but when one is looking back...it seems like it all just flowed out the window tagging along their fading aura which once was so bright and...um...intense...how do I know this?...experience...from other ppl's conversations..ha ha ha..but still, this is magnificent whoever wrote this, my compliments.

~5/29/06-->2006 (ahem)

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home