Saturday, March 12, 2005

Pass by referenece

Sometimes I feel that I'm an object (like the objects defined in C++ and Java). I'm floating in mid-space and I'm surrounded by a huge number of other objects that are also flating around me in a 3-dimentional space.. like small squares or points. These are the choices I have in making any decision.. I must choose one of these options. As soon as I touch one of these objects, i am immediately transformed into a new state where I am again floating in 3-D space and I'm surrounded by a new set of points, also floating with me and surrounding me. I now have to make a new choice and this would take me to my new state. And so my life continues from state to state and choice to choice. Everytime I make a choice, it determines what state I am transformed to next and the choices I have surrounding me.

I think part of this perception is inspired by the movie 'The Lawnmower Man" in which I think a similar scene appears towards the end of the movie. The other part of this perception is inspired, I think by routing protocols (wtf !$#%!$). In any case I think this model is beginning to sink in my head as a consistent representation of life as it carries you forward from one moment to the next as decided by the choices that you make.

--
Added later:

It now strikes me as odd that if the above representation is true, then our lives are essentially a collection of discrete decisions, implying thereby that something widely perceived as 'analog' (human experience) is actually a set of digital (finite number of choices) decisions. The decision making process is a detection and estimation problem and an attempt to optimize at each step given the finite amount of information available at that step. This brings me to the larger question: Does the human brain really function like a mathematical estimation-and-optimization machine ? Does involuntary thought constitute the implementation of a maximum likehood or a prediction-based estimator (of the types we have developed in math and used quite effectively in many man-ade devices) ? Or does there lie some deeper meachanism to the process by which we think ?


+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home