Sunday, February 27, 2005

Take away my pain

Has it ever so happened with you that you interpret the lyrics of song to a completely different meaning than the one intended by the songwriter, and you continue to love the song for your own interpretation of its meaning, unaware of its true context. Happens with me all the time. And I'm guessing it happens with other too,

The latest victim of my ignorance is Dreamtheater's 'Take Away my Pain'. Despite listening to the song for over three years, I never really understood its true meaning... just hung on to the 'Take away my pain' part most of the time, and sometimes visualised references to unrequited love. Apparently, John Petrucci, lead guitarist of Dreamtheater (read 'GOD'), wrote this song for his father after he passed away in 1996m just before the release of their 'Falling into infinity' album.

Every now and then I realise I've been interpreting a song's meaning in a totally different way. And then the song isn't the same anymore ever again.


+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home