NY Diaries I
Where can you find a Tamil family, a spanish couple, the French and English together and an entire spectrum of world ethnicities in a single place ?
In a New York Subway train.
I made a second trip to the City in less than a week. The magic of the city never ends.. today began with an accidental meeting with some indian tourists from 'New Delhi' even before I got into Manhattan. By time I'd finished explaining to them what all to do in NY, I was fairly pleased with myself. The rest of the day featured:
- Meeting a schoolfriend from Nigeria after 13 years!
- A brilliant 3-minute minute performance by a triplet of mexican guitarists in my subway train car. Freakkin amazing. If they were a selling a CD there, I'd have bought it.
- A trip to SoHo and The Village !!! A sampling of Vietnamese coffee, a middle eastern delicacy sweet (what was it called again) and a Turkish 'Doner Kebab'. (Yatigan and Mamouns at the corner of McDougal St. and Bkeeker). The kati roll at the indian place is a killer!
- Introduction to an outdoor sport I have never seen before. It was like they were playing squash but with their bare hands. Just stood there and watched.
- A peaceful ride back home with good music, a nice techie magazine and a beautiful setting sun.
I'm falling in love with the City. I think what amazes me most about it is sheer ethnic diversity. And once you get the hang of the subway system, getting around is easy as a breeze.
+
In a New York Subway train.
I made a second trip to the City in less than a week. The magic of the city never ends.. today began with an accidental meeting with some indian tourists from 'New Delhi' even before I got into Manhattan. By time I'd finished explaining to them what all to do in NY, I was fairly pleased with myself. The rest of the day featured:
- Meeting a schoolfriend from Nigeria after 13 years!
- A brilliant 3-minute minute performance by a triplet of mexican guitarists in my subway train car. Freakkin amazing. If they were a selling a CD there, I'd have bought it.
- A trip to SoHo and The Village !!! A sampling of Vietnamese coffee, a middle eastern delicacy sweet (what was it called again) and a Turkish 'Doner Kebab'. (Yatigan and Mamouns at the corner of McDougal St. and Bkeeker). The kati roll at the indian place is a killer!
- Introduction to an outdoor sport I have never seen before. It was like they were playing squash but with their bare hands. Just stood there and watched.
- A peaceful ride back home with good music, a nice techie magazine and a beautiful setting sun.
I'm falling in love with the City. I think what amazes me most about it is sheer ethnic diversity. And once you get the hang of the subway system, getting around is easy as a breeze.
+





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home