Monday, July 05, 2004

Who will win the *Litsoc ?
The dirt, the scandals, the truth. Ya whatever.

P A R T - I


My romance with the Litsoc began in my very first week of college when I teamed up with Harry Balls and Megs (At that time he was called Banjar) to play ‘Dumb C’ and ‘Picto’ under the able guardianship of Phani Kiran and 1D. We’d practice for long hours and we were invincible - Best freshie team and finalists in both picto and Dumb C. ‘So this is what life in IIT is all about’, I thought to myself. It was a unique high. Sam was the Litsec then. I held Sam in very high regard. The first thing he told us freshies in the ‘meeting in the mess’ was that Mandak had been winning the LitSoc for n years and we just had to win for the (n+1)th time. And so we began a journey that would take us to dizzy heights. But we had set out on the wrong foot and we didn’t even know it.

Litsoc in my freshie year couldn’t be completed and the trophy (a huge piece of wood with some brass on it) stayed safely in the Mandak common room. The next litsec was Phani Kiran. Phani and 1d always hung out together and most people I knew had immense respect for the duo. So did I.

It came to dawn upon us at some point during this lit-year that we were under threat of losing to Alak [another IIT hostel.. full of strange people :D ]. And then one day a very strange thing happened. I was in my room with 1D and phani discussing “strat” when Bose burst in with his black fake adidas bag which he immediately opened and shot out a string of questions which he was going to ask the following day in the India Quiz (Bose was an India Quiz co-ordinator). Before I fully realized what we were in the middle of, Bose had revealed a good fraction of his question bank (an act for which Parande, Bose’s co-co-ordinator never really forgave him and for which Mandak became the perennial butt of jokes in Alak).

I don’t think I was majorly upset or shocked by this open act of cheating then because the phani + 1D duo had had enough ‘faith’ in me to let me know that the ‘threat’ of loosing to Alak would be ‘neutralized’ and it was ‘no problem’ as we had enough event co-ordinators in our hostel to take care of that. This is not to say that any of my seniors were thugs or rotten heads but I guess we were all so blinded by the need to win that we’d lost sight of the bigger picture. Sure, I was a little stunned and a little confused but I continued to smile. We were cheating !
Hurrah !


^ Me making a backdrop for the mandak 2002 fete stall. It was the most fun I had in 4 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home